Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mishmash

Do any of you have a favorite bagel? Mine is mishmash from Solly's. So insanely good. I wish I had gotten one today instead of banana bread from a different place for lunch. The banana bread wasn't very good. Banana bread should always be good.

Firstly! I bought a drop spindle! Thank goodness. I did a lot of spinning today when I got home and really don't have all the much more to go. I was going to navajo or chain ply the singles but I didn't realize it created a 3ply which I think would make the yarn too chunky. I'm just going to do the regular two ply. The spindle is Hounds Design and it's a great purple!
Oh, and if you are Ravelry you may already know this drama. Last night I sat down and googled seahorse images and started doodling. My second doodle was this guy...
which posed a problem. I was pretty sure I liked him but there were some concerns. Mostly the head not working with the rest of the body and also I didn't expect to be done so soon. I was so anxious to start another project just like my jellyfish that I became concerned that this wasn't what I wanted but that I was so excited I couldn't see that. I was thinking about posting the picture to facebook but decided to go with Ravelry instead because I could reference Jellyfish Guy. I always have doubts about forums and really don't trust them but I posted in a group full of people I know in real life. Everyone seemed to like him and Ms. Ting made the wisest comment which was that this won't be made with a felt, it'll turn out without harsh edges, and she was totally right!

This is the graph paper I traced it onto....
and how it turned out when I converted it into something knittable!
He's fun too! I decided to do him intarsia (back and forth) instead of fair isle (in the round) because of the long sections between the colour section. So far the intarsia hasn't bothered me at all.
And look! The yellow is showing up! I was hoping the yellow would show up in Jellyfish Guy so now I'm very happy it's here. Next is this awesome cerulean blue! So EXCITING!!!

7 comments:

rachel said...

i'm not sure if you got my first comment but if you did, just delete this one (if this one works). yay! you got a spindle and your spinning looks awesome. love the colour. and love Seahorse Guy.

Julia said...

i don't see the yellow?!?

oh, and the first pic with the spindle and all the pretty fiber totally looks like a regretsy vag/spindle at first glance. sorry, i've been reading too much regretsy again

Jan said...

Wow, you have been so creative lately - more than usual, I mean! It all looks great. The colours look wonderful together, don't they?

Jenn said...

Hmm, I need you to make that into a tattoo for me, I think.

P'cess said...

He's working out wonderfully! LOVE!

Kat said...

Looks great so far! It's interesting to see how different it looks in sketch and chart forms.

Louisa said...

Solly's was all out of mishmash the last time I was there so had to make do with onion instead. Since they're usually out of onion, there was a kind of symmetry to this dilemma!

Love your seahorse and your jellyfish turned out wonderful! What's next? Makes me want to break out into the "unda da sea" song that my granddaughter and I sing while playing with her Ariel dolls.