Thursday, June 22, 2006

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

*this is my first attempt at a book review. A small quasi-spoiler is in here but not anything important. Please keep in mind that I am not a writer and keep your expectations low*

Guilty Pleasures is the first book of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. So far, there are fourteen books in this line, but I've only read the one. This book was everything I expected it to be(which wasn't much), and in all honestly, a little more. It was an entertaining and quick read, with no deep thoughts, no moral lessons, and kinda a wonky plot. The upsides were Anita Blake herself, who narrowly escaped being another sarcastic, overly cool, heroine. She had enough quirks and downfalls to make me actually like her. The dialogue was surprisingly good, I was worried at points it would fall into the way too sarcastic realm (think The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) or the way too orchestrated realm (think Gilmore Girls-which I know, isn't a book, but it's written isn't it?), but for the majority of the book, the dialogue was consistent and believable. The book provided enough violent gore and sexual innuendo to keep it slightly edgy, but not enough for my liking- personally. As for character development, not much went outside of Anita Blake. There were some rounded characters that helped balance out the usual stereotypes, but a lot of characters that seemed like they should play crucial roles were not given any lipservice. Probably the biggest downfall to the book when the odd playout of the plot. A lot seemed to be happening without a lot getting done. It didn't really seem that Anita Blake figured out the mystery, more she just keep on putting herself in exceptionally dangerous situations because of her outstanding morals and then eventually near the end of the book the mystery kinda exposed itself while she was there. I don't know, I was impressed by Anita's disregard for her own well-being but not for her detective skills. All in all, I give this book three and a half stars out of five because it was very entertaining, I read it in three evenings, and the female heroine didn't end up getting rescued by some guy. I hope to read some more Anita Blake books at some point, and see how or if the books change.

Thank you for reading my book review. If I know you and like you, please leave comments (good or bad) about this review. If I don't know you and you are polite, you too can leave comments. If I don't know you and you aren't polite, please- go away. I mean, why are you reading my blog, rude person?

3 comments:

Jim said...

Good review!

I read about half of Guilty Pleasures, but didn't finish it. Not because I didn't like it--I was having fun--but you know, sometimes you put down a book and don't pick it back up.

I thought your comment about Anita Blake not figuring out the mystery, so much as putting herself in dangerous situations, was funny. My memory of the book was that it didn't so much progress, as it was an excuse for a series of interesting stand-alone scenes. So good insight! :-)

Jim

jenn said...

Okay, I KNOW I left a comment today. Weird.

Anonymous said...

yĆ³ur review makes me want to read the books on an airplane - does that make sense?

julia