- 274 - Roman Emperor Aurelian has a temple dedicated to Sol Invictus on the supposed day of the solstice and day of rebirth of the Sun.
- 1939 - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is introduced by Montgomery Ward stores.
- 1987- In one of the highest-rated episodes in Coronation Street history, Hilda Ogden leaves her home of 23 years to be a char to her doctor in the country.
- 1667 - Ehrengard Melusine von der Schulenburg, Duchess of Kendal and Munster, English royal mistress (d. 1743)
- 1674 - Thomas Halyburton, Scottish theologian (d. 1712)
- 1977 - Charlie Chaplin, English actor (b. 1889)