Tuesday, February 02, 2010

aaahhhh... February

What is it about the first few days of every month being insane? Do we remember January? If so, congratulations because I barely do. Anyhoo...

not to say it's been bad. It's just been... a doozy.

Firstly, my new phone? I barely know how to work it and today found out it's really important to make sure you press the correct button when answering a phone call from work. If you just winced and though... 'oh, I hope she didn't do what I think she did' I'm afraid you are overly optimistic about my ability to pick up phones. I totally rejected a call from work. HAHAHA!!! What can we learn from this? Be more careful, calm down, think before you press, and maybe put a sticker over the good button so you can differentiate (there really isn't much difference between the two at all unless you look really close and squint).

Secondly, I think the reason I'm so calm about this epic fail (and about other things going on right now) is because of the book I read last month. A Stroke of Insight~ I'd highly highly recommend it. If you don't feel like reading it then I'd recommend giving some of your time to listen to her speak (and her website is cool too but it makes a lot more sense if you know what it's all about). I really honestly feel like this book has made a difference in how I view others and myself. It's quite awesome. It really sucked when I rejected the call but staying upset and angry about it won't help. And also it's all cool meditation stuff but based in science. My kind of lady. I'd go into it more but I'm tired and wouldn't be able to give the book the credit it deserves. Please go read it. I'll lend you mine once I get it back from another friend.

Thirdly, this article is so awesome. Well, not awesome that this happened in the first place but awesome that it's being shown for the sham it was. It's an article about how the Lancet journal has offered a full retraction of a study showing a link between vaccines and autism. They did it just for publicity. Disgusting. My favorite part was when the doctor was said to have 'callous disregard' for the welfare of children because frankly, that is my opinion as well when it comes to this issue. It shouldn't even be an issue.

Fourthly, OMG I bought a bike! Soooooooo excited!

Fifthly, a poem.

Chapter I from Eunoia by Christian Bok

Writing in inhibiting. Sighing, I sit, scribbling in ink
this pidgin script. I sing with nihilistic witticism,
discipling signs with trifling gimmicks - iimpish
hijinks which highlight stick sigils. Isn't it glib?
Isn't it chic? I fit childish insights within rigid limitsm
writing shtick which might instill priggish misgiv-
ings in critics blind with hindsight. I dismiss nit -
picking criticism which flirts with philistinism. I
bitch; I kibitz - griping whilst criticizing dimwits,
smiping whilst indicting nitwits, dismissing simplis -
tic thinking, in which philippic wit is still illicit.

Sixthly, Spike.


eta: I just reread after publishing and realized I started on one arch and then dissolved said arch into a weird rambling of all sorts. You're use to that right?

4 comments:

rachel said...

I know what you mean about January disappearing! It's gone. Where'd it go?

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yay bike! We could go biking! I have one too!

:D

Jenn said...

Oh yeah, the journal retraction is mind boggling it took this long. I saw that this morning. I think I need to post it to my facebook... for all the, er, people who make me grumble.

Suzanne said...

Hey, I don't care where it went , I'm happy it's gone, crocuses are blooming , it was 12 degrees today. I even managed to knit a few rows outside.
btw, thanks for the tip about Granville Island vet . Brought my old Millie there and they are REALLY nice and it smells good, you don't wait too long; not cheap though after blood work and xrays...